Mrs Ryan Reetz
C. Ryan Reetz represents clients as trial counsel in international and domestic commercial and regulatory disputes. His litigation and arbitration practice ranges from investment disputes and sovereign immunity challenges to class actions, unfair trade practice cases, fraud and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act claims, and contract disputes.
Mr. Reetz frequently writes and lectures on arbitration and litigation topics. His recent publications include “United States Anti-Suit Injunctions in the Arbitration Context” in International Arbitration and Mediation – From the Professional’s Perspective, published by Yorkhill in 2007; “Constructing the Rules of the Game” in Transnational Dispute Management; and “Forum Non Conveniens and the Foreign Forum” in the University of Miami Inter-American Law Review. As an adjunct professor at the University of Miami School of Law, Mr. Reetz teaches transnational civil litigation and arbitration. He is also an instructor for the Florida Regional Program of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and has lectured at the law schools of Doshisha University, Marmara University, Istanbul Bilgi University and Istanbul Kültür University.
Mr. Reetz is a member of the American Law Institute and has served on the Civil Procedure Rules and Rules of Judicial Administration Committees of The Florida Bar. He is also active in other professional organizations including the International Bar Association, Union Internationale des Avocats, American Bar Association and Dade County Bar Association, where he served as a director until his term ended in 2009. He is a member of ICC Arbitration Commission Task Forces on Amiable Composition and Ex Aequo et Bono Arbitration, and on National Rules of Procedure for Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Awards pursuant to the New York Convention of 1958.
Mr. Reetz was listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2010 and The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers 2009, named recommended counsel in Practical Law Company’s Which Lawyer? Yearbook 2007 and listed in The International Who’s Who of Commercial Litigation Lawyers 2008. He is also listed as a local litigation star in Benchmark: Litigation. He has been consistently recognized among Florida's Legal Elite by Florida Trend magazine and selected for inclusion in Thomson Reuters’ Florida Super Lawyers. Mr. Reetz is also listed in Who’s Who Legal: Florida 2008 and was recognized as Best of the Bar by South Florida Business Journal in 2004.
View Full Profile
* Defending a Peru-based development company in ICC arbitration proceedings brought in Lima by a major multinational corporation.
* Representing a joint venture in an American Arbitration Association international arbitration dispute over greenfield manufacturing plants in Argentina and Colombia and associated distribution rights in South America.
* Representing a non-US bank in federal litigation asserting commercial tort claims against the originator of securitized lease assets.
* Defending a video compression equipment manufacturer in a federal lawsuit brought by an Argentina-based distributor over loss of contracts throughout Mercosur.
* Representing one of the largest private insurance providers in Florida in statutory arbitration proceedings to set homeowners’ insurance rates.
* Defending a US-based financial institution and its Bahamas affiliates in a putative class action alleging that offshore sales of unit trust interests violated Florida securities laws.
* Defending a Florida governmental entity against a constitutional and statutory challenge by a disappointed bidder to Minority Business Enterprise contract rules.